Ethics in Computing and IT Exam
As part of its mandate to establish Information Technology (IT) as a profession, CIPS has identified a need for testing knowledge and understanding of ethics in computing and IT. This is particularly important for those applying for CIPS’ ISP and ITCP certifications and the exam needs to successfully be completed by all applicants who have not graduated from a CIPS accredited program.
A common testing methodology has been developed, relevant to all IT professionals regardless of domain or technical specialization or occupation. The result is this online exam. The exam is currently not proctored and is open-book.
The goals of the exam are to:
a) familiarize CIPS certification applicants with the CIPS Code of Ethics Principles and their meaning; and
b) provide some ethical scenarios where the Principles need to be applied, and test applicants on their ability to apply ethical reasoning and to encourage them to think about how they would respond to situations similar to those posed by the exam questions.
The exam is for experienced and new IT practitioners and builds awareness of the key principles of professionalism and the CIPS Code of Ethics.
How do I take the exam?
- Click the "Create new account" and fill in the required information (Note: the First Name and Surname fields will appear on your certificate)
- Complete the CAPTCHA (If you are unable to get through, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get login details), then click the "Create my new account" button
- Check your email and click on the Activation/Confirmation link
- Go back to the CIPS Ethics site and login with your new userid and password
- Under "Available Courses" click on "CIPS:Ethics Course"
- Enter the enrollment key (you only need to enroll once). The enrollment key is in your activation email. It is "cipsethics"
Congratulations, you will now have access to the "CIPS: Ethics" course! At the top of the course page you will see links to "Announcements" and "Instructions". Please read these before proceeding. The "Instructions" page contains vital information about how to take the exam as well as links to helpful ethics documentation.
If you have any issues with your registration please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 905 602 1370 or Toll Free: 1-877-ASK-CIPS (275-2477).
CIPS would like to acknowledge the Australian Computer Society (ACS) for providing access to the ACS case studies which helped in building this exam. CIPS also wishes to thank Seneca College for hosting the testing environment. All information submitted via the testing environment is only accessible by CIPS and the system administrators.