Definition: The ability to locate, use, summarize, evaluate, create, and communicate information while using digital technologies and mobile platforms; and to engage safely and responsibly and ethically in online communities and networks.
Digital literacy goes beyond simple information technology skills. Across the program there should be opportunities to use a variety of digital media applications and create a range of content with digital tools. Cultural and social issues related to internet-based technology tools, and the practice of legal and ethical behaviour while in digital spaces are discussed and highlighted.
- Are expectations/practices for effective digital communication explained and modelled?
- Do students practice assessing digital footprints (their own and/or others) and discussing the implications of these creations?
- Do assignments and activities require the use of digital media?
- Is the ability to choose and use digital media taught, practiced and assessed?
For information, workshops, resources and tips for integrating digital media into your courses, visit the Seneca Sandbox.
- Digital Citizenship: Resource Round Up from Edutopia
Check out Edutopia’s collection of resources on internet safety, cyberbullying, digital responsibility, and media and digital literacy.
- Digital Literacy & Citizenship Classroom Curriculum
Here are free activities and materials to teach students about digital citizenship.
- Digital Literacy Fundamentals from MediaSmarts, Canada’s Centre for Digital and Media Literacy
MediaSmarts defines digital literacy and looks at the various aspects, principles, skills and competencies of digital literacy.
- The 8 Digital Literacy Practices Required for 21st Century Learners from Educational Technology and Mobile Learning
In their book “Understanding Digital Literacies: A Practical Introduction,” Jones and Hafner offer eight digital literacy practices.
- Use, Understand & Create: Towards a Comprehensive Canadian Digital Literacy Curriculum from MediaSmarts, Canada’s Centre for Digital and Media Literacy
MediaSmarts developed a framework for integrating digital literacy in class. It contains six key aspects of digital literacy and has 52 lessons and interactive resources linked to curriculum expectations for each province or territory.
- What Digital Literacy looks like in a Classroom from Education Week Teacher
Brianna Crowley discusses the importance of a digital literacy curriculum, with tips, guidelines, brief examples and resources.